Yoga
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

berkano
Advanced Member

uSA
129 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  11:32:29  Show Profile  Visit berkano's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Any thoughts on the philosophy and practice of yoga, and what wisdom the Bible might offer about it?

.Berkano

Manuel
Advanced Member

USA
762 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  16:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know if paintings where brought out of real still-life drawings, but I have seen paintings of Yashuah/Jesus meditating as if yoga posture.
Go to Top of Page

Walter
Advanced Member

USA
144 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  20:50:03  Show Profile  Visit Walter's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know that some people place religious significance to yoga, which I guess they are free to do. But I view it as a exercise and stretching practice. I took yoga for a few months a year ago and benefitted greatly with increased strength and limberness. I just ignored the very few "religious" impositions of some of the teachers. I need to start it up again to get in better shape.
Go to Top of Page

Manuel
Advanced Member

USA
762 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2005 :  21:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good to read from you again Walter. Hope all turned out okay.
Go to Top of Page

William Donald

uSA
31 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  01:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by berkano

Any thoughts on the philosophy and practice of yoga, and what wisdom the Bible might offer about it?.Berkano

-Philosohy- Yoga means 'union' in the language translation. I seek physical and mental and heart 'union' with my Creator. Way long ago (mid '70's) I practiced meditation under a yogi for about a year and a half. I failed ultimately because of my lack of self control to maintain his discipline. Now I am finally learning more about the value of self control (I'm almost 50 y.o. now) because of my increased self respect as my relationship with the King is becoming deep.
-Practice- How can the use and control of your body by stretching be evil but rather only good in Christ?
-Bible Wisdom- I don't know how the topic might be addressed in Scripture. Roy Masters uses the verse "Be still and Know that I am God" Psalms 46:10 to promote his meditation CD. In context the psalm does not seem to refer to yoga. The Spirit forbids me from using Roy's technique but still that man is a genius. Frequently I listen to his radio program.
http://www.fhu.com/
A few years ago I tried to meditate. I could not keep still as I know I must. The Spirit led me to taiji qigong. I bought a book
http://store.yahoo.com/ymaa/esoftaijqigi.html
The Essence of Taiji Qigong-
The Internal Foundation of Taijiquan
Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming
"Moving" meditation! More my style! Taiji was developed to excercise sedentary Monks. I began the practice while very ill with shingles and a (still to this day) untreated HIV infection (since 1987!). I recovered without drug treatment and now my life style is so active that I am too tired to practice taiji regularly. But I have learned to move chi (blood circulation) with my mind. Of late I am finding more time and conserving energy to perform the 'stretching' part of taiji warmup daily. This regimen includes some abdominal excercises which prevent 'constipation'.
The book title noted above is not supposed to be for beginners but it is what I use. A beginning book might be
http://store.yahoo.com/ymaa/eigsimqigexf.html
Eight Simple Qigong Exercises for Health
Dr. Yang, Jwing-Ming
I look forward to some possible answers to your question regarding 'Bible wisdom'. but this I know and testify: body control by discipline is of God!

cool link!
http://members.aol.com/marybethrcraig/0_all.htm
Go to Top of Page

Manuel
Advanced Member

USA
762 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  02:42:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many years ago I heard of the sounds/vibrations the Tibetan Monks, using bells which they said where made from metals which had fallen from space, would use to cure illnesses and ailments and also as a way to meditate.
Go to Top of Page

georgealexander

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2005 :  08:40:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Caveat: all this is off the top of my 'head'. My library is packed away. YMMV.

Yoga is a discipline involving body and mind. Meditation or mind focus is generally aided by deep breathing patterns which are of themselves body exercises.

Dealing with meditation, there is 'meditation' and 'Meditation'.

The Budda is credited with introducing meditation to China. Monks in China blended quiet deep breathing 'meditation' with 'meditation in motion'. Chinese monks/missionaries introduced this to Japan about the time 'sword control' - national ban on carrying swords - unemployed thousands of Sumari. This led to the martial arts of the hands, a not so simple extention of the high art of swordsmanship the Sumari had developed. Consider the martial arts meditation in motion. Quieting the mind to allow the body to take over.

I am not conversant, but am aware that 'Eastern' meditation included studies by Meditaranians who traveled 'East' to Northern India where this practise was then established......I would not quibble on the difference between a monks 'meditations' or 'prayers'. Consider the Whirling Dervishes - Sufi dancers - as meditation in motion.....East does oft times meet West.

SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN did an article in the 1970's (?) which was later published as a SCIENTIFIC AMERICAN monograph on 'Eastern Meditation'. This study was under the auspices of Harvard Medical school. This study laid out absolute benefits of lowering one's metabolisim and dropping blood pressure while increasing circulation. Eastern 'yogi' types were hooked up to medical instruments.

The graduate student that did the study and was co-authored with a Harvard Medical School Doctor, went on to be a prime mover in Transendental Meditation. The student's use of the Harvard creditation so disturbed the doctor, that he wrote a book on meditation to expose the hocus pocus of TM.

The book, RELAXATION RESPONSE, by Brown dealt with simply relaxing and focusing on one's breathing. Same laboratory results as the original SA monograph and same results as TM.

I was studying Akido and doing zazen deep breathing meditation at the time of reading RELAXATION RESPONSE. I never adopted Brown's method, but have recommended it to friends and family.

I have had a 'religious experience' during zazen.

THE SECOND THING TO GO IS MEMORY

D T Susuki once said 'The diligent student oft times catches a glimpse of sublimity, mistaking it for 'enlightenment' and ceases to practise at that time when further practise would lead to a closer level of awareness of the manifest.'

D T Susuki knew what he was talking about.

THE SECOND THING TO GO IS MEMORY

"And if insight remains merely insight into the meaning of an experience (for man is always in danger of believing that he already is or can do what he has merely glimpsed as insight) still nothing will be changed. A new attitude has to be cultivated in order to ensure progress on a new path."
HARA, by K G Von Druckheim

Last week, while reading GOOGLE NEWS, I read a blurb in the Health section: "Transendental Mediation lowers chlorestoral, diabetes, high blood pressure (maybe even flat feet), etc better than medications". Oh, well. That was news in the 1970's. Diet and exercise (like deep breathing and/or kata's [basic movements]) beat out meds.

the lurker

ga

Edited by - georgealexander on 09 May 2005 09:31:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
ECCLESIASTIC COMMONWEALTH COMMUNITY © 2003-2020 Ecclesiastic Commonwealth Community Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000